In early May the Department of Labor (DOL) passed some final federal overtime changes. These new rules increased the threshold for overtime salaries. With this and rising minimum wage changes, many restaurants are facing some hard labor changes ahead. Restaurant Hospitality expands on these five strategies to help soften these hard blows.
1. Manage understaffing – Avoid having managers cover for sick or absent employees
2. Schedule efficiently- Upgrade and streamline your scheduling processes
3. Facilitate employee self-service communication – Have a way for employees to contact each other to cover shifts
4. Reduce turnover – Managers who train will also have to fulfill their “regular” duties which could cause overtime.
5. Keep employees happy – Help your employees adjust to the new overtime rules with updated systems and frequent communication
Visit Restaurant Hospitality for a in-depth look at these strategies.