|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE||CONTACT:||Victoria Sanchez Martinez, Executive Director|
Hospitality Industry Education Foundation Awards Nearly $30,000 in Scholarships to New Mexico Students
The Hospitality Industry Education Foundation is pleased to announce that they have awarded nearly $30,000 in scholarships to students from New Mexico pursuing an education and career in the hospitality industry.
“We are proud to help support these students as they continue their education after high school,” said Dr. Ricardo Maestas, President of the Hospitality Industry Education Foundation. “These students have proven themselves with an active interest in the foodservice industry and with a solid academic achievement record. They are poised to continue their growth and development as future leaders of our industry.” The foundation would also like to thank the numerous scholarship donors who make the awards possible.
“We are pleased to see so many of our students look for rewarding jobs in the restaurant and foodservice industry — the cornerstone for career and employment opportunities — as they continue their education,” said Carol Wight, CEO of the New Mexico Restaurant Association and a foundation board member. Research shows that from 2006 to 2017, the number of jobs in the restaurant industry is projected to increase by 20.3%. “We are proud to provide these students with the opportunity to become valuable assets within this tremendous industry.”
The scholarship recipients are as follows. They are grouped by their city of residence. The name of their chosen academic institution and the name of the scholarship they received are also indicated.
1) Paul Reynaga, Central New Mexico Community College, Frontier and Golden Pride Restaurants Scholarship
2) Brian Werling, New England Culinary Institute, Frontier and Golden Pride Restaurants Scholarship
3) Sarah Key, New Mexico State University, FA West Memorial Scholarship
4) Brenda Casas, University of Phoenix, Michael Allan Fuller II Memorial Scholarship
1) Crista Mestas, New Mexico State University, Heartland Payment Systems Scholarship
1) Marlene Rosset, New Mexico State University, La Ventana Restaurant Scholarship
2) Peter Screnci, New Mexico State University, Heartland Payment Systems Scholarship
3) Erika Niederberger, New Mexico State University, Shamrock Foods Scholarship
4) Trang Tran, New Mexico State University, New Mexico Restaurant Association Scholarship
5) Joseph Kester, New Mexico State University, William Kouri Memorial Scholarship
1) Meraya Martinez, New Mexico State University, Jose Montoya Scholarship
1) Nicole Lucero, New Mexico State University, Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino Scholarship
1) Colton Stanton, Johnson and Wales University, Taco Box Restaurant Scholarship
1) Michal Hebert, New Mexico State University, La Posta de Mesilla Scholarship
2) Anna Espinosa, Johnson and Wales University, Double Eagle Restaurant Scholarship
1) Meghan Turner, New Mexico State University, Sysco Food Services Scholarship
1) Patrick Abalos, New Mexico State University, Furr’s Restaurant Group Scholarship
The Hospitality Industry Education Foundation (HIEF) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to fulfilling the educational mission of the New Mexico Restaurant Association. In addition to administering the ProStart and Lodging Management Programs, HIEF awards scholarships to students pursuing a degree in the hospitality industry. To learn more about HIEF programs call 1-800-432-0740.