Many times when I am working on behalf of restaurants in New Mexico I think of the founding fathers. I don’t mean those guys in New England, I mean the people who formed the New Mexico Restaurant association 70 years ago.
We have a copy of the Articles of Incorporation and I’m amazed by the forethought this group had in 1946 when they founded NMRA.
State of New Mexico
Certificate of Filing
It is HEREBY CERTIFIED, that the was filed for record in the office of the State Corporation Commission of the State of New Mexico on the TWENTY-SEVENTH day of MAY A.D. 1946 at 9:00 am.
That we, Cecil Draper, Jack Chaney, C.D. Gibson, Gus Bruskas, Viola Sponduris, and A.C. Corondini, all of Bernalillo County, New Mexico, under and by virtue of the laws of the state of New Mexico, do hereby voluntarily associate ourselves together for the purpose of forming a private educational corporation as follows:
- The name of the corporation shall be the “New Mexico Restaurant Association”
- The purpose for which it is formed is to maintain a Board of Trade of high standard of integrity in the conduct of the restaurant business. To promote a feeling of good will among its members and to advance on broad, equitable lines, the welfare of the restaurant industry. To maintain its chosen vocation among respected industries. To oppose methods of practices inimical to the right conduct of the restaurant business. To further promote the harmonious relationships with allied industries. To assist in the enactment and enforcement of local, state, and federal pure food and sanitation laws. To disseminate useful information and inspire members to further educate themselves in the practical features or their business. To encourage the participation of its members in community, state and civic activities. To hold, when practicable, in conjunction with its annual meeting or otherwise, as an educational feature, an exhibition of equipment, supplies, etc., which may be necessary in conducting the restaurant business.
- The principal place of business shall be in Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, and the agent upon whom process may be served is H.D. Simmons, Box 422, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- There shall be no capital stock to said corporation.
- Said corporation has no assets.
- The term for which this corporation is to exist is fifty years.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, we have hereunto set our hands the 21 day of May A.D. 1946.
Cecil Draper Gus Bruskas
Jack Chaney Viola Sponduris
C.D. Gibson A.C. Corondini
On our 70th anniversary it is appropriate that we should give thanks to these men and women who had the foresight to start this great organization. To this day our mission states that, through the participation of our members, NMRA will be the leading advocate and invaluable resource for education, political action, information and services for our industry and the community we serve. This mission statement is a close resemblance to the original intent of our founding members. I hope they would be equally proud of the association they started as I am of them.