Frequently Asked QuestionsFAQ’s on Food Handler Card requirements in New Mexico

Who is requiring the Food Handler Card?

The New Mexico Environment Department, Environmental Health Bureau is the authority requiring the state Food Handler mandate.

Who is required to get the Food Handler Card?

All Food Employees outside of Albuquerque and Bernalillo County, which means any individual working with unpackaged food, food equipment or utensils, or food contact surfaces in an Environment Department permitted food facility. (Everyone in a restaurant except maybe hosts/hostesses have this requirement.)

What if I have bar with a liquor license but don’t serve food?

If your bartenders are cutting fruit (TCS food) as garnishes for beverages, they need a Food Handler card.

What if my restaurant is in Albuquerque or Bernalillo County?

You do not have the Food Handler Card requirement at this time.

What is the Food Handler Card?

It is a card issued to an individual after successful completion of a certified Food Handler class.

What will I learn in this class?  

In this class one learns: Basic Food Safety, Personal Hygiene, Cross-contamination and Allergens, Time and Temperature, and Cleaning and Sanitation.

How long is the class?

Two to three hours long.

When do I get my Food Handler Card?

You get your Food Handler Card immediately after passing the class with a 75% score or better.  If you take the class in person and pass, you will leave with the card.  If you pass the online course, you will be able to print a certificate immediately.

Where do I find the class?

The class is provided online or in a classroom setting. Link here for the online class. Link here to check our calendar for classroom dates. If you would like to schedule a class at your facility please contact us.

How much is the class?

Online it is $15. NMRA Members get 32% off with a coupon code. If you are an NMRA Member, contact us for your discount code.

Does the class come in Spanish and English?

Yes, the online class is available in Spanish and English. The in-person classes can be taught in Spanish and English as long as class minimums are met.

When do I need a Foodhandler Card?

Existing employees must get the card before March 1, 2017.

New employees must get a Food Handler Card within 30 days of employment.

Where can I get more details?

Visit NMRA’s Food Safety Resource Page for links to ordinances, printable documents from the New Mexico Environment Department, sample inspection forms, and more.