This page will help ensure you know the most current regulations to keep your customers safe.
Scroll down for additional resources like posters, videos and much more!
Food safety regulations are based on the location of your establishment. Requirements fall under one of three areas of jurisdiction: Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, and the rest of New Mexico. We have compiled quick lists of resources for you to easily access the regulations in your area. Check your jurisdiction’s website for updates and specific information. Contact us if there is other information you’d like to see included.
Businesses outside of Albuquerque and Bernalillo County follow the regulations of the State of New Mexico NMED Food Program. The regulations proposed before the Environmental Improvement Board (EIB) on August 24, 2018 were approved. The new compliance deadline is APRIL 1,2019. CLICK HERE for details.
- Information on the responsibilities of a “Person in Charge“. Each permitted food establishment will need to have a “Person in Charge” designated at all times during hours of operation. “Person in Charge” Fact sheet and requirements
- FAQ’s on NEW Food Handler Card Requirement
- NMRA, through the National Restaurant Association, is an approved vendor for the new foodhandler cards.
- 2018 Food Regulation Certified Manager Update
- New Mexico has adopted the FDA 2017 Model Food Code
- State of New Mexico Retail Food Inspection Form (includes restaurants, schools, snack bars)
- New Mexico Food Code Regulations
- 2019 Retail Field Guide and Manufactured Food Field Guide
Businesses within the Albuquerque city limits follow the regulations of the Environmental Health Department of the City of Albuquerque.
- Albuquerque has adopted the FDA 2009 Model Food Code
- Five Reportable Illnesses
- Food Safety Checklist
- City of Albuquerque FOOD INSPECTION FORM – English
- Food Safety Tips and Guidelines
- Albuquerque’s Code Ordinance
- Pest Free Flyer -English
Bernalillo County Environment Department has adopted the 2022 Food Code with a few changes.
- They will follow what the state environment department is requiring for restaurants.
- Establishments are required to have at least one ServSafe Manager certified employee on duty at all times.
- If an organization has numerous locations ie., Lotaburger, then a certified Manager can come from another store for an inspection as long as they get there in a reasonable amount of time ie., 30 minutes.
- Every restaurant must display an allergen poster in sight of customers describing all 9 allergens. Sesame is the latest addition to this list. The environment department will create these posters.
- Food Handler certification is required for all employees handling food, FOH & BOH.
- Raw Milk and ungraded eggs allowed in retail locations (grocery stores).
Businesses within the unincorporated areas of Bernalillo County follow the regulations of the Food Safety Section of the Planning and Development Department of Bernalillo County.
- Bernalillo County has adopted the 2022 FDA Model Food Code
- Bernalillo County Environmental Health Code
- Bernalillo County Inspection Form
- Bernalillo County’s County Ordinance
- Planning and Development Overview of Services
- Employee Reporting Agreement FORM 1-B
- Food Employee Interview – FORM 1-A
- Food Employee Medical Referral FORM 1-C
- Clean Up and Disinfection Posters – English, Spanish
- Clean up & Disinfect for Stomach Bug – Poster English
- Help Prevent the Spread of Norovirus – Stomach Bug – Poster
- “Keep it Compliant” – Poster, Activity Sheet, Infographic
- “Keep it Controlled” – Poster, Activity Sheet, Video
- “Keep it Safe” – Poster, Activity Sheet, Infographic
- “Keep it Up” – Poster, Activity Sheet, Video
- Food Worker Illness Flowchart for managers – Poster
- Plan for Sick Employees Expanded Version – Poster
- Clean Up & Disinfect for Hepatitis A – Poster
- Help Prevent the Spread of Hepatitis – Poster
Sample Consumer Advisory: “Consuming raw or under-cooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of food-borne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.”