This page as an invaluable resource for restaurant operators, managers and employees, to find everything you need, from opening a restaurant to making payroll and more. We continually add to this page as we come across more information. Please feel free to suggest content for this page by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: the information provided here is a resource only and cannot be construed as legal advice. We cannot guarantee that it is the most current information though we will try to update as necessary. You are encouraged to visit the actual government and regulatory agency websites for the most current information as it pertains to laws and regulations. As always, consult a lawyer, accountant or other licensed professional to ensure you are in compliance with the law.
- City of Albuquerque Environmental Health Department – contact information, design/construction process, more
- City of Albuquerque Design/Construction Reference
- Accion New Mexico – Commerical lending and other small business and microfinance support services.
- Finance New Mexico – resource for financing a small business.
- The Loan Fund – Provides business loans and other assitance.
- WESST.org – small business loans, education on everything from opening to accounting to operating a business.
- Albuquerque Water by Request Ordinance – water may only be served upon customer request, not automatically.
- Service Dogs – Two resources to answer your questions about serving customers with assistance dogs.
- Alcohol and Gaming Division Regulations – We have provided a copy of the Alcohol and Gaming Division Regulations here as a service to the industry. It is not a substitute for legal advice. Please seek the assistance of a licensed professional in any legal situation.
- How to Obtain a Duplicate Server Permit
- High Cost of DWI in New Mexico
- Frequently Asked Questions from Alcohol and Gaming Division
- AGD Memo Spring 2013 – lots of information on new laws, sunday sales, authorized providers, training frequency and penalties for serving to a minor, firearms signage, drink sizes.
- Required Posters for Establishments Serving Alcohol (AGD Site)
- Message from the Director – Memo from AGD Director outlining several key areas of regulations for licensees
- Premise Inspection Form – form used by the Dept of Public Safety, Special Investigations Division when inspecting licensed premises.
- Alcohol Sales on Election Day
- Alcohol Sales on Christmas Day
- Happy Hours Rules – see section on sales to intoxicated persons
- Alcohol and Gaming Division
- Business Census – Most businesses will be receiving a census form in the late part of 2012. Every 5 years, the Economic Census develops a comprehensive portrait of American business, from the national to the local level. Timely and accurate data are vital to effective public policy and important to our association and membership.
- Five Tips to Build Your E-Mail List
- Email Marketing Strategies
- Social Media and E-Mail Marketing
- Marketing through the New Mexico Department of Tourism
General Labor Information
- Federal Department of Labor website
- NM Department of Labor website
- Restaurants and Fast Food Establishments Under FLSA
- Unemployment Basics Slide deck from UI Seminar at NMRA June 2015
- FAQ’s about NM Unemployment Laws
- Worker’s Compensation Administration Employer’s Guidebook
- Required Labor Posters – Federal and State of New Mexico
- Labor Poster Not Required – The NLRB poster requirement was struck down in the Court of Appeals in May, 2013.
Wages & Tipped Employee Information
- Minimum Wage Information, Current Wages for New Mexico
- Service Charges Classified as Wages – generally, when a “service charge” is added to a patron’s bill and then distributed to an employee, the added amount is classified as wages (and taxed as such) for the employee and cannot be counted as a tip. There are four guidelines the IRS uses to determine if a payment is a tip or not.
- NRA Legal Problem Solver – Tips and Service Charges (must be an NRA member to access)
- NRA Powerpoint Slides from October 2012 Webinar on Tip and Service Charge Reporting
- FICA Tax on Tips – IRS Ruling
- Calculating Overtime Wages for Tipped Employees
- US Department of Labor Guideline for Tipped Employees
- Tip Pooling Guidelines
- Wage Calculations and Credit Card Fees
- Wage Preemption issues
- Salary Guidelines for Exempt Employees
- Teen Labor Information
- Child Labor Rules Under FLSA
- Classifying Managers and Assistant Managers Under FLSA
- Cleaning Products and Work-related Asthma
- New Hires Directory – state law requires employers to report all new hires (and re-hired) employees to the New Hires Directory.
- Pay Equity Information – for businesses seeking contracts and doing business with state agencies.
- Medical Support Notice
- I-9 Forms
- Job Description Writer
- Social Media Policies – here is an example policy you can adapt for your business and information from the NLRB on Social Media Policies
- Healthcare Portal – information on the 2010 health care law and how you can comply.
- Medical Support Notice
- Gross Receipts Tax – the NM Gross Receipts tax is subject to change each January and July
- NMRA Scam Resource Page – NMRA maintains this page of common scams that restaurant operators face.
- NM Attorney General’s Office
- Music Licensing – what you need to know about playing music in your restaurant
- Restaurant Tax Center – IRS information for restaurant businesses
- Reporting Tip Income – Restaurant Tax Tips
- State of NM Taxation and Revenue
- GRT table for July-December 2015
- New Mexico Business Links – site with links to state business sites
- WESST – offers business education
- State Economic Development Dept
- www.generalservices.state.nm.us – if you wish to do business with the state of NM
- City of Albuquerque Ordinance
- The City of Albuquerque has adopted the 2009 Food Code
- City of Albuquerque website – includes inspection form, reportable illnesses, sample template and food safety checklist to prep for an inspection.
- Bernalillo County
- Bernalillo County Ordinance
- The County of Bernalillo has adopted the 2005 FDA Model Food Code.
- ServSafe® 5th Edition Supplement for 2007 Update to 2005 Food Code
- Model Food Code Ordinances
- Nine Tips to Prepare for a Health Inspection